Faux-pretentious, moi?

Sunday, August 14, 2005

On avoiding reality TV

I was living in Switzerland at the time of the first two British series of Big brother. Somewhat bemused by the popularity of the concept, it was all too easy to be sucked in by the third series (helped by the memorably thick Jade). That said, I was so ashamed at how absorbed I was, rushing home from work to catch the latest installment, that I deliberately avoided series four, leaving the room as soon as it came on. From what I gather, it wasn't particularly interesting anyway, though it didn't stop my work colleagues from talking endlessly about it.

I planned not to watch series five either, but my flatmate of the time was heavily into it and I did end up watching it with him. Again, there was much talk about it at work, and to be honest it was memorable, despite the obvious bias of the producers towards the transsexual Nadia, who ended up the winner.

This year, it's been a joy to be almost completely unaware of the going-on in the Big brother house - living on my own, returning home nearly every lunchtime (it helps that home is only a ten minute walk from work), taking a perverse pleasure in changing the channel as soon as a trailer comes on.

It finished last night. Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home