Faux-pretentious, moi?

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Shades of Anna Russell?

I was listening to Reneé Fleming's new CD, "Haunted heart", this morning; mostly jazz, at any rate very different from her usual repertoire. Her voice was unrecognisable the first time I heard it, and today I couldn't help but be reminded of Anna Russell's line about coloratura sopranos who, because no-one save other coloratura sopranos appreciate their art, end up singing ... like this.

(cue blues intro)

"I gave you my heart, and you made me miserablllllle ..."

2 Comments:

  • But is it good? I heard an mpeg of Fleming singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" and it sounded like she was drunk. In great voice, but...um, restraint and taste went right out the finestra.

    By Blogger Andy, at 1/8/05 20:03  

  • I can't say I liked it much, but then I have been described (by others as well as myself) as a cultural snob ...

    That said, there's a certain irony in Anna Russell doing a better job mocking a style which Renée Fleming seems to view as a valid sideline.

    On another note, thanks for the link!

    By Blogger Anthony, at 2/8/05 22:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home