Faux-pretentious, moi?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Interviews and penguins

As expected, I've not got the SCO job - the letter came yesterday, by which time I'd worked out the position must have gone to someone else.

Had another interview this morning though, for a position within the sponsorship department of the Festival, of which the scariest bit was the Excel spreadsheet exercise at the end. I'm not convinced I'll be offered the job as some of my answers were a bit left-field owing to lack of strictly relevant experience. The piece I wrote on my father just recently, for instance, came up in the context of writing concisely without leaving any information out, which was a little odd ...

On the plus side, I was one of only seven to be interviewed, so I've already done well in getting to this stage. There was a lot of thinking on my feet involved - suggesting ways of finding corporate sponsors for obscure Festival productions, that sort of thing - at which I did a pretty good job. That said, I reckon there's a high chance of one of the other interviewees having more relevant experience, so I'm only cautiously optimistic.

If I made a good impression, it was without any help from my stomach, which felt a bit unsettled this morning, the result of being out at a reception for the British Antarctic Survey, for whom we've been selling tickets as part of their "Discover Antarctica" series. The four of us who went had a whale of a time (sorry, the pun was ripe for the picking!) drinking just about nothing but champagne - we switched to white wine when it ran out - bonding with one of penguin statues and laughing at the Ice Queen, whose mere presence was unbelievably camp.

Anyway, back to the job: they should let me know by the end of the week, by which time I'll be in Norfolk visiting family. I expect it'll be a phone call, but I'm going to ask one of the neighbours to keep an eye on the post, just in case.

Unless something terribly exciting happens tomorrow, this will probably be my last entry before leaving on Thursday morning. Back next Tuesday ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home