Faux-pretentious, moi?

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Possible job news

I applied for the position of Assistant Box Office Manager at one of Edinburgh's main music venues a couple of weeks back and should be hearing back from them next week. To be frank, I'm not really expecting to get very far with this - my lack of experience is my weakest point - but it's got to be worth a shot. After all, I've no idea what sort of person they're after.

The Scottish Chamber Orchestra is after a Marketing Assistant, yet I have to say I'm not even sure I want to give it a go: it's the third time in less than a year that a position has come up in their marketing department. Such a high rate of staff turnover is a little discouraging, to say the least, but it's not prevented me from requesting an information pack. Again, there's no harm in looking into it.

Don't take this to mean that I'm unhappy in my current job: it's more a case of wanting to make headway in arts administration sooner rather than later. At my age, I should be doing better than low-paid jobs, however fun they are.

That said, I'm starting upon a new venture, looking into writing programme notes; not that I'd expect to make pots of money from it, but it's still a worthwhile pursuit. My years in classical CD retail taught me how to speak about music in such a way as to make it accessible for novices without losing the interest of the most passionate music-lovers - very much a case of "same subject, different medium".

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home