Faux-pretentious, moi?

Saturday, June 10, 2006

An unexpected development

I dashed off another job application last weekend - for the SCO, whose staff turnover still leaves me worried. My hopes weren't particularly high: the speed with which I wrote the covering letter and my uncertainty about the whole enterprise left me in little doubt I was undertaking little more than a futile gesture. Imagine my surprise, then, when they asked to interview me.

Now my concerns about applying for the position have been superseded by not knowing whether to raise said concerns at the interview. On the one hand, it could well cost me a good job offer, but on the other I'd like to hope they'd appreciate my honesty in raising the matter. Either way, tact and diplomacy will certainly be the order of the day.

A couple of weeks ago I found out some interesting facts relating to the boss' attitude to my work. Following the interview, there were concerns that I would not fit in owing to my greater age and extensive musical knowledge, hence my being offered the shorter (six-week) contract - a decision I am told she swiftly regretted. In the meantime, one of my other superiors took a dislike me for asking too many questions, which information should perhaps serve me as a warning against excessive curiosity.

While I am glad the boss saw sense, it seems I would do well to tone down my enthusiasm in interviews. As far as my inquisitive nature is concerned, however, I consider such an attitude a source of pride, enabling me better to understand the matter at hand, so have no intention to surrender it.

(If you're wondering about my choice of language in this post, I put it down to watching the BBC's 1997 adaptation of Fielding's Tom Jones as I type. I would defy any lover of language not to fall under the spell of 18th century English!)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home