Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The best-laid plans of mice and men

When I started working in classical CD retail three-and-a-bit years ago, it was a matter of months to plan opening a place of my own. Glasgow and Edinburgh struck me as ideal locations, little realising that both cities already had an independent classical CD shop apiece and there wasn't really room for me. Hence the plan to move back to London, in a more senior post, and then see what the future held, possibly working for an orchestra, an arts venue or something along those lines.

Or that was the intention.

Today my floor manager told me he couldn't spare me on Saturday afternoon, when the first rehearsal for Dido takes place, leaving me pretty disheartened as I reckoned I wouldn't be allowed to sing in the concert. It's not the first time work has got in the way of my taking part in musical activities, so for the first time I gave serious consideration to resigning. My music is very important to me and I can't help but feel that I'm in the wrong job if it's threatened. Besides, dropping shift work for something more structured can only be of advantage to me when I get round to adopting, to say nothing of being able to enjoy the weekend with my child.

That's for the long term, however. I receive a weekly email on vacancies in the arts in Edinburgh and it was to this I turned at lunchtime, remembering there'd been something from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra in last week's edition. I've sent off for information on the marketing officer (print and publications) vacancy. It may all come to nothing, but at least I'll have made a start on looking beyond the shortcomings of retail for my career.

2 Comments:

  • I can remember my job at Lincoln Center getting in the way of things, too. Retail is the pits. You can say until you're blue in the face, "I can't work next Wednesday night," and then WHAMMO, the manager puts you down for Wednesday. And then you remind him you told him you can't work then and he shrugs and says, "Well, just find someone to cover for you."

    I found my current job by coming home after one particularly horrendous day at my last job and going on line and looking at listings. It was the first job that came up.

    By Blogger Andy, at 28/7/05 00:54  

  • I'm not planning on moving back to London just yet - I was there for eight months last time and was glad to get out the place (no matter how much I miss Luke and co.). Don't like big cities ...

    By Blogger Anthony, at 30/7/05 07:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home