Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Ethics, part two

When I was first interviewed for my current job, I was rather amused by the company's principal aim, "to remain the UK's number 1 entertainment retailer", this being in stark contrast to my then employers' desire "to become the UK's number 1 entertainment retailer". As far as I could tell, my current employer doesn't really need to worry about any high street competition snapping at its heels, and my opinion has remained largely unchanged, until a slight hiccough this afternoon.

There's a weekly letter from one of the senior managers within the company published on the intranet, which I read when I've nothing better to do. This week's contains the following passage:

Let's really spoil the [competition's] Sale launch day on Tuesday. They have day one offers which will run out within 10 minutes of them opening at 8pm. Are you ready to capitalise on these disappointed customers, are you open at 8am? are you leafleting near their store?

Regardless of any copying tactics, customers know where the best "Sale" offers are delivered and where to get the best Customer Service and it's certainly not in
[the competition] !

I realise it's the way of the Western world, but is such a callous attitude really warranted? There is admittedly a huge difference between the day-to-day working of the two companies (my current employer gives their staff much more responsibility with regards to what stock we have in at any given time, a degree of trust which is reflected in the wage), which is no reason to drive the competition to the ground. Taken to the extreme, it would not be good for us to have a monopoly within entertainment retail (dreadful term); besides, it's good for keeping both companies on their toes.

And I, for one, am not conscious of any difference in the customer service I offer since changing jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home