Faux-pretentious, moi?

Friday, June 10, 2005

Hurrah for Scottish law!

Unmarried couples in Scotland are set to be given the same rights as their married counterparts with regards to child adoption. There is to be a strong emphasis on enduring commitment and, as ever, the welfare of the child.

I got into something of a heated discussion about British adoption laws with my brother some five years ago (the debate was at the Houses of Parliament in London so did not concern Scotland alone). He was against the idea of same-sex couples being permitted to adopt, not realising the plan was to give equal rights to all couples, regardless of gender or whether they were married. When he was here a month ago, the subject of adoption came up again - albeit as something I'd do on my own - and he wasn't adverse to the idea of my having a child that way. Even though he doesn't know I'm gay, I take heart from his admitting the only reason he was initially against women priests in the Anglican church was because he found the idea took some getting used to.

It's likely I'll end up adopting a child alone, but it's always encouraging to know that, should some lovely guy want to share his life with mine, we can do so as a couple.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home