Faux-pretentious, moi?

Friday, April 14, 2006

An old favourite raises its ugly head

OK Cupid's a funny old place. In the last few weeks I've made a couple of potentially good acquaintances there and to counter that came across a test claiming to assess how English I was - except the writer kept on referring to Britain.

I'll let the exchange of messages do the talking:

Me: I feel I should point out you're using British and English [in your test] to mean the same thing. Some people might find that offensive ...

Him: Am I to take it that by mailing me, you are voicing the fact that you personally are offended by me not explicitly differentiating between British and English?
If so you have my apologies......but unfortunately I am far too lazy to actually do anything about it.
However in order to atone for my slight against the diversity of nationality and culture the U.K encompasses, I shall go without a cigarette for a whole hour.


Me: To be honest, I'm more offended by your apathy. I realise I'm probably coming across as pretty humourless in this, but after all, if we Brits can't get it right, what hope does anyone else have?

UPDATE (23:29, 26/04/2006) Not entirely to my surprise, there's been no response as yet, nor do I expect one at this stage. For all that, I rather doubt he will have learned anything, but at least I've tried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home