Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, May 08, 2006

A first time for everything

The unprecedented happened at my birthday party on Saturday. Peter had mentioned to me during the course of the evening that I had a gift for bringing groups of disparate people together, and a couple of hours later a huge disagreement arose between two of my friends. Coming as the proceedings were drawing to a close (at around 4am), it could have spoilt the evening as a whole, but thankfully things had gone so well until that point that my memory of the occasion is, on the whole, as a happy one. It just saddens me that tempers should have got the better of my guests ...

My mother and brother returned home this morning after a short week here which took in a walk around Arthur's Seat on my birthday, a trip to see Les liaisons dangereuses at the Lyceum on Friday, the party on Saturday and, considering the Pimm's and G&T I'd drunk the previous evening, some pretty good solos on my part at the eucharist on Sunday. I arrived at the church just in time to launch into the Agnus Dei from Kodaly's Missa brevis which opened the rehearsal - soaking wet, my glasses steamed up and (crucially) my voice not in any way warmed up. I'm still not entirely clear how, come the service, I managed top G sharps mezzo piano without going into falsetto.

Now I'm back and ready to blog on the delights of Lully and his contemporaries, whose music I'm singing this Saturday.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Tony I'm just leaving you a message to find out if you are going to be available anytime on the week of the 18th to the 25th for lunch in la sept with my big cousin?
    love always
    kristine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/5/06 10:59  

  • Hi Tony,

    I'm posting this comment because I can't find your e-mail address.

    You asked (tongue in cheek, I hope)if the American choral tradition was more than the Morman Tabernacle Choir. I sing in two groups outside of that particular tradition: the Kansas City Symphony Chorus and the Heartland Men's Chorus (KC's gay men's chorus). I'll say more about them later.

    My real reason for writing is to let you know that the William Jewell College (my alma mater) concert choir is touring England and Scotland right now. They'll sing at the Sunday at Six concert series at St. Giles Cathedral on May 14. The director, Arnold Epley, would enjoy meeting you and hopes you will introduce yourself after the concert. Dr. Epley also directs the KC Symphony Chorus.

    Hope you can attend.

    David Hunker

    BTW - when I was the fiscal officer in the KC Fire Department, the nickname they used for me (behind my back) was Niles Crane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/5/06 21:56  

  • Not only did I go, David, I've posted a review for your delectation!

    Get in touch with Dr Epley on his return - I've passed him a little something for you.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 14/5/06 20:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home