Faux-pretentious, moi?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Origin of species

I have a question for all the Americans out there. Why, when speaking about your nationality, is it invariably in a double-barrelled form?

It suggests to me a form of validation, suggesting that being American alone is insufficient. Being able to trace your ancestors back to another country may well make for interesting genealogy, but with each successive generation the individual culture brought over all those years ago is distilled, to the extent that any pretence of being from Greece, for instance, gradually becomes a mockery, one dependent upon the very basics. The limited availability of Greek foods, to take one example, leaves the self-proclaimed Greek-American family clutching at straws, taking the little they can find, with the result that the original culture boils down into stereotypes. It's said that none are so English as the English abroad, usually with reference to holidaymakers, but it applies equally to emigrants.

Somewhere along the line, I suspect, the pride with which the immigrant boasted his origins - "America's my adopted home but I'm from Ireland", that sort of thing - turns into a formulaic expression, so that some years down the line, it's bereft of any power. I recall hearing about Matt LeBlanc complaining, when required to keep a trim figure for Joey, that "I'm Italian and in my thirties". I'm sorry, that's not fooling anyone: we all struggle to keep our weight down, so by this stage, it's become little more an excuse.

That said, the worst of it has been, predictably enough, on the internet, a place where shorthand is rife. Confusion abounds when, in a chatroom, I greet someone who tells me they're German with the words "wie geht's?' and they don't understand a word of it, and don't get me on to the person from Jersey who'd not even heard of the Channel Islands ...

Don't get me wrong here: I'm not saying that any attempt to maintain so much as a semblance of another culture in America is a sham: it's just inevitable that in a melting-pot society, the finer points of what makes up a specific culture do tend to get lost.

To finish on a more positive note, I wonder if a subconscious desire for liberal America to place a distance between themselves and the country as a whole hasn't come into the equation, as a means of showing that the America is not united behind Bush. This system of dual cultures is not so recent as to have evolved from the current political climate, but it'd be heartening to think it's resulted in increased cultural awareness.

9 Comments:

  • Hmm, all of which rather confirms my suspicion that it's a form of validation. There's almost a degree of insecurity about it, small fish liable to get lost in a large sea unless bound together by some sense of identity.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 1/3/06 12:38  

  • This exchange says it all.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 2/3/06 15:08  

  • I think it is because, culturally speaking, America is still a baby. Yes, there is definitely "American culture," as evidenced by our entertainment industry's influence around the globe (to which you can also add fashion, food and politics...among other things), but America as a "nation" no more has settled its identity anymore than you can tell what a three year old will be like when he's an adult.

    Globally things are definitely changing, but generally speaking if you are "German", for example, your family could trace its German heritage back for centuries. Even nomadic tribes, who aren't necessarily tied to one location, have kept up unique cultural practices that identify and separate them for generations.

    But a majority of Americans can't say that about themselves. My paternal grandmother's family came to America from Ireland in 1773, but my maternal grandmother's family came from Italy just after WWI. PG's family moved to the midwest (Missouri area) during the westward expansion and farmed there; MG's family settled in Boston in an immigrant enclave for a while, and then moved in the 1920s to a tiny, remote little desert town called Los Angeles. The American "identity" is widely made up of these divergent cultural experiences, and we are aware that our ancestors came -- and are still coming -- from all over the globe to contribute to what the Constitution calls "a more perfect union." Americans like to maintain ties to our "old world" traditions, be they languages, cuisine, music, holidays, ethnic dress, etc., because that way we still retain some sense of individuality, some distinct "ethnic flavor" while simltaneously adding to the uniquely diverse and yet congruent "melting pot."

    By Blogger Andy, at 3/3/06 19:46  

  • And yet, it strike me that, except in a (relative) minority of cases, the cultural make-up of most Americans today is so mixed that it's pretty well nonsensical to call oneself American-(nationality/culture of choice).

    From what I've gathered, Andy, you've got Irish, Italian and Austrian ancestry to your name - quite a mouthful. How many more generations of this melting pot do we need before Americans are happy being just that?

    By Blogger Anthony, at 3/3/06 20:02  

  • Assuming a generation is still estimated at 25 years, I'll be in touch in 75 years (presumably in the afterlife), and woe betide you if your prediction proves incorrect!

    By Blogger Anthony, at 4/3/06 23:52  

  • haha, Hi, I'm Scarlet and I'm American.


    Great link to Overheard in NY...it's so true. I mean, I've traced back 7 generations to when my ancestors came from Scotland. Does that make me Scottish-American?

    By Blogger Miss Scarlet, at 10/3/06 02:46  

  • Welcome, Scarlet!

    Pedant that I am, I'd ask how many of your ancestors back to Scotland. Seven generations is a lot of different families to consider ...

    By Blogger Anthony, at 10/3/06 09:12  

  • Read the sequel, if it can be called that.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 10/3/06 12:02  

  • I'm headed over to the sequel;) but it's a pretty straight line from my dad back to the ones who came to America from Scotland. I make up for the distant lineage by being very pro-Scottish;)

    By Blogger Miss Scarlet, at 10/3/06 18:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home