Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, January 23, 2006

Too little, too late?

The boss finally spoke to me today, ten days after my resignation, to ask if there was anything he could do to convince me to stay.

I was seriously tempted to point out he was a bit late in asking, all the more so as it was back in August I'd first had thoughts of leaving. He's suggested they can be more flexible with giving me occasional Saturdays off (for concerts and the like), but as I pointed out, as long as the shop is too short-staffed to allow me the time off, it's still likely to prove too restrictive.

He obviously wants me to stay - not least because I suspect they're having some difficulty finding someone to take over the department - and while I have doubts about the wisdom of leaving without another job to go to, I'm still inclined to make a clean break. Withdrawing my notice is backing down, making my resignation an empty threat, a trump card which loses its effectiveness every time it's produced.

As I'm already mentally prepared for leaving, I suspect it's best I stick to my guns. Not that I care much about the company besmirching its reputation with its employees, but I'd sooner be left with some semblance of an honourable character.

6 Comments:

  • Why not try laying down some outragious demands, to see how far this person is willing to go to keep you. Ask for a guaranteed 13 Saturdays off each year, plus a 20% pay rise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24/1/06 20:12  

  • Just tell him he should have considered your value to the company before he denied your time off request for an important family event.

    By Blogger Andy, at 24/1/06 20:22  

  • Lovely idea, Richard - on a par with his (joking) suggestion that an extra two hundred quid a week might change my mind - but from his attitude today, I don't reckon he seriously expected me to stay anyway. For my money, it's a bit much of a coincidence he didn't speak to me until after the regional manager's visit, at which point it was probably made clear to him that I was not bluffing.

    I did have a few prize remarks prepared, Andy, and in a way I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to use them. I mean, I'd've loved to see his face when I pointed out his own lack of interest in his staff was an important factor in my decision.

    The next step is making sure they get a decent replacement, so I've offered to test the applicants' knowledge of classical music. After all, I'd like to return as a customer, which means making sure the place is left in good hands.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 24/1/06 22:14  

  • do they have unemployment benefits across the pond? are you panicking? or will you find something else quickly? -vicarious worrier

    By Blogger Aethlos, at 25/1/06 02:13  

  • They do have unemployment benefits over here, but I'm hoping not to have to resource to it: I've applied for two jobs so far (about which I'm still waiting to hear back) and have two more on the cards, so no, I'm not panicking. Yet.

    Could you just be on the cusp of mildly concerned for now?

    By Blogger Anthony, at 25/1/06 08:38  

  • at mildly concerned and holding.

    By Blogger Aethlos, at 25/1/06 22:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home