Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sheep!

I am often to be found stalking the streets of Edinburgh muttering this word to myself, usually after crossing a road having fought through a vast concord of my fellow pedestrians just standing there waiting for the light to change.

My father, over the last ten years or so, grew increasingly disillusioned with driving in Britain, stating that British drivers lacked in initiative, being perfectly content to trundle along behind another car, making no attempt to overtake despite being under the speed limit. Regrettably this attitude seems to have spread to pedestrians as well, people meandering all over the pavements with no obvious purpose, seemingly unaware of there being anyone else around them, still less of others' attempts to get past them. I've even got to the stage of keeping a lookout for any fast-approaching shadows coming up behind me so I can move out of the way of someone in a greater hurry than me.

I abhor crowds at the best of times, which is part of the reason for my having enjoyed working in retail for the last four years. When you're stuck behind the counter on a busy Saturday afternoon, you're not having to negociate the crowds of shoppers yourself. True, if the shop itself is heaving with people, it can be like an ever-evolving obstacle course, but it still beats only having the weekend in which to do your shopping. (There are other things I will miss about retail, but that's for another post.)

So to a certain extent, I can put up with it indoors. I've nothing - well, not much - against people milling around in shops or the like as long as they don't clog up the pavements. As far as I'm concerned, pavements are to pedestrians what roads are to drivers: a means of getting from A to B, not a tourist spot. Wander around once you've reached your destination if you must, but not on your way there. But at all times, please, please realise that there are other people around you. Pay attention. Don't be oblivious to your surroundings.

2 Comments:

  • I don't mind people walking slowly. Everyone has their own pace. What I don't like are people who suddenly stop or change direction, causing me to almost run into them. I also tire of people who block the entire width of the pavement when waiting at bus-stops.

    You're right - it's all about being conscious of other pavement users. Some pedestrians - like some drivers - are quite selfish, and don't give a second thought as to how their actions may affect other people.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/2/06 12:26  

  • Amen!!!!!!

    By Blogger Aethlos, at 3/2/06 08:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home