Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Winding down at work

I've been playing host again - my mother's been over for a short visit and seen three films in as many days, not to mention going to the ballet last night. She's leaving this morning so I'll be catching up with my usual round of reviews tonight.

For my part, I've got a whole two shifts (that's 15 hours) left before my career in retail, such as it is/was, comes to an end. I've had quite a few of my regulars pop round this week, one of whom caught me completely off-guard by producing a leaving gift for me: a bottle of champagne, no less!

An air of desparation seems to have crept in among the bosses, who are struggling to find someone to take over; on the one hand their disorganisation is not my concern, but on the other it's very unfortunate that I don't get to show my successor the ropes, so to speak, thus ensuring a sense of continuity. As it is, it looks very likely there'll be a couple of weeks in which my colleagues from DVD will be covering in the classical department, which isn't exactly fair on them. It's all very well the bosses wanting to get the right person for the job, but there are limits.

Two rejection letters have come my way, from the gallery and the Fringe Festival, meaning there's only one answer I'm still waiting to receive at the time being, about which I can't say I'm all that optimistic as they require one year's experience in arts marketing, which isn't my case. In the meantime, another position has come up for grabs with one of the local orchestras: they're after a PA/librarian. Never mind the experience I've got from my current job: given how meticulous I am about my own CD collection (I've even got a database, for pity's sake), I'd like to hope I'm in with a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home