Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A stupendous concert

Yesterday was one of those days when I got home and collapsed more or less immediately on my bed - despite returning home for lunch (the benefit of living a mere 15 minutes' walk from work) and then again after work, it felt like I was on my feet all day. When this happens I am frequently guilty of falling asleep in the early evening, though on this occasion the entertainment was so exhilerating as to keep me wide awake and then some.

I've long enjoyed music for two pianos, so the opportunity to see the Labèque sisters live in Glasgow was too good to pass up, all the more so as the Scottish percussionist Colin Currie was to join them. Any piece with prominent percussion is always fascinating to watch, and so this programme proved: for some reason I'd thought we were to get Bartók's sonata for two pianos and percussion but can't say I was in any way disappointed.

First up was Gershwin's set of three preludes, arranged for two pianos, which worked nicely as a starting point. Next came a contemporary piece, Exile by Dave Maric, scored for live electronics, percussion and 2 pianos - I couldn't see the electronics from where I sat as the piano lid got in the way, but to be honest it didn't really contribute a great deal. Besides, who would want to watch someone at a computer screen (even if it was the composer) when you've got a vast array of percussion being played by a nice-looking man on the other side of the stage?

That said, I was still waiting for things to spark, and spark they did in the second half: an arrangement of West side story for two pianos and two percussionists - songs, dances, pretty well the lot. What was really striking here was the chemistry between the players: at times the two percussionists (one Marque Gilmore joining the fray) were almost flirting with each other and the pianists, Katia (the more jazz-influenced of the sisters) in particular. Marielle had her back to me the whole time but came across as more staid, though it has to be said she has phenomenal technique. As far as the music went, I was taken aback by the intensity of its close: after the sheer exuberance that pervades the rest of the score, it catches me off guard, every time.

Despite the brevity of the concert - not even two hours, including the interval - it was worth every penny. I spent the next hour catching up with my friend Tristan over a couple of drinks, which rounded off the evening nicely before getting the train back home.

Now if only the Labèques' Scott Joplin album were available on CD, I'd be a very happy man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home