Faux-pretentious, moi?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Day two: two films and more shopping

One of my landlords from several years back had pointed out to me that one of the prime benefits of working lay in the inability to spend your money while at work. I’m starting to appreciate that, as this week’s holiday is turning out to be an expensive hobby ...

We weren’t in any particular hurry today, nor did we have any grand plans (the only thing I’d noted was watching “Hustle” on BBC1 in the evening, which was a little disappointing, like much of this second series). We both had a little shopping to do, so started off at the west end of Princes St and worked our way east. First up was my place of work, where Philippe spend absolutely ages browsing the DVD racks, giving me time to nip to the bookshop next door and order the one book I’d not been able to find in Glasgow. We left with six DVDs between us (Four weddings and The life and death of Peter Sellers, worth it for Geoffrey Rush’s performance alone) and then continued looking into digital cameras for me - though I don’t know how or if I’ll be able to afford it if this spending spree carries on.

Jenners and Harvey Nichols took care of the higher end of the market (we spent very little in either), then it was on to Broughton St, the epicentre (such as it is) of Edinburgh’s gay life - not that there was much of it in evidence in the early hours of the afternoon - for the organic food shop and the butcher’s, so Philippe could look into interesting types of sausage to take back to France. From there we got a bus back the way we came and beyond, as we’d decided to go to the cinema to give our feet a rest.

The hitchhiker’s guide would probably have made more sense if either of us had known more about the source material. It left Philippe lukewarm at best, though I particularly enjoyed Alan Rickman’s performance and the whole of the book which provides the film’s title. Back home, after a very acceptable Indian take-away from down the road, I put The Bourne identity in the DVD player. I’d been rabbitting on to Philippe about the car chase through the streets of Paris - to say he has a soft spot for Minis would be an understatement, hence my recommendation - and thought we should at least see one film this week which he’d have a chance of enjoying.

We’re off to Stirling in the morning for some pretty serious walking (weather permitting - it wasn’t brilliant today), so as the back of my knees has been a bit stiff all day I’m going to slap some Deep Heat on and go to sleep.

Till tomorrow then ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home