Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, May 09, 2005

Return to work

In case you're wondering, the last two days of my brother's visit were not so horrible that I couldn't bring myself to write about them: I enjoyed having a very quiet weekend after a very busy (and enjoyable) week. I'll get round to it at some stage.

Today, however, was one of those surreal days full of mixed feelings. No matter how good it was to have a week off, I enjoy my work and had it not been for having so much to do with Philippe, I'd have missed it. As expected, there was heaps for me to catch up on this morning, so much so I spent the best part of the morning rushing around. More often than not, on these occasions, the return to work is a real anticlimax, but today, I'm glad to say, was something of an exception.

The reason? For the first time in three-and-a-bit years of working in this business, we had a major classical musician coming in to sign copies of her CD - Nicola Benedetti, the winner of last year's BBC Young Musician of the Year. It meant a great deal to me, as I'd long wanted to have a PA (that's personal appearance) for my department; countless customers had asked me, over the course of the last year, for a recording of the Szymanowski concerto she'd played at the final (held in Edinburgh, for the first time in the history of the competition), so I leapt at the opportunity as soon as I heard the release date.

I didn't want to leave anything up to chance so made sure the event was well advertised: the List may mistakenly have said she'd be performing the Szymanowski (yeah, like we'd be able to fit a whole orchestra in the shop!) and Metro let us down by not even mentioning it - though amusingly, her appearance at the competition in Glasgow was in the rock and pop section! - but we still ended up selling 44 copies of the CD, not to mention the dozen or so signed for collection later this week. I was rather proud of myself, as this made it the day's topseller across the whole shop. As I put it, rather flippantly, yay me!

The boy done good ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home