Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, May 02, 2005

Philippe's visit: first impressions

(In reference to yesterday)

I will admit it’s come as something of a surprise. For some time I’ve been concerned that there could be a rift developing between my brother and me, but thus far we’re getting on fine. It is early days, I will admit, so only time will tell ...

A word about this rift: I’m not out to him, for the simple reason that I reckon he’d take it very badly and turn to our parents for moral support. As far as I can tell, my mother had enough trouble with my father’s reaction, so it wouldn’t be fair on her. She’s had enough on her plate over the years without my adding yet more to them.

The initial plan was that I’d meet Philippe at the airport, but the weather was so foul when I left church this morning that I texted him to say I’d meet him in town, which also had the benefit of giving me more time to tidy the flat - yes, again: I’m not the tidiest of people, so having a visitor round is always the best incentive for cleaning the place up - and do a spot of food shopping as the fridge was looking decidedly sparse.

Philippe took me rather by surprise by saying he wouldn’t mind a pint (it wasn’t even 4pm at the time), but I insisted we wait until 6 at least, so the next couple of hours were spent at home, first showing him the flat and going through what I’d done with the place, then reading the newspaper while we discussed the agenda for this week. We’ve since been on a miniature pub crawl - it was only two pubs, nothing exactly major - and got home in time for something to eat before watching “Trainspotting” on DVD, which Philippe had never seen.

We’re off to Glasgow tomorrow, which Philippe doesn’t know at all, possibly followed by a whisky-tasting session with a friend from the choir. Tuesday’s still free, more or less, then on Wednesday I’m taking him off to Stirling for the day, which will involve a good bit of hill-walking (always assuming the weather is fine). On Thursday we’ll be off to the Scottish parliament, while Friday’ll see us preparing for that evening’s party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home