Faux-pretentious, moi?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Beati qui lugent: the libretto

(for anyone who's interested, the Biblical passages are taken from the Vulgate Bible and the prayers from the Book of Common Prayer)

I: O vos omnes
O vos omnes qui transitis per viam attendite et videte si est dolor sicut dolor meus. Attendite, universi populi, et videte dolorem meum. [Lamentations 1:12,18)
(trans.: All ye that pass by, behold and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow. Behold, all ye people, and see my sorrow.)

II: Collect for aid against all perils
Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ.

III: Dominus reget me
Dominus reget me et nihil mihi deerit.
In loco pascuae ibi me conlocavit super aquam refectionis educavit me.
Animam meam convertit deduxit me super semitaxs iustitiae propter nomen suum.
Nam et si ambulavero in medio umbrae mortis non timebo mala quoniam tu mecum es virga tua et baculus tuus ipsa consolata sunt.
Parasti in conspectu meo mensam adversus eos qui tribulant me inpinguasti in oleo caput meum et calix meus inebrians quam praeclarus est.
Et misericordia tua subsequitur me omnibus diebus vitae meae et ut inhabitem in domo Domini in longitudinem dierum. [Psalm 23]
(trans: The Lord is my shepherd: therefore can I lack nothing.
He shall feed me in a green pasture and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
He shall convert my soul and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness, for his Name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
Thou shalt prepare a table before me against them that trouble me; thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be full.
But thy loving-kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.)


IV: Prayer for those in sorrow
O heavenly Father, whose blessed Son Jesus Christ did weep at the grave of Lazarus his friend: look, we beseech thee, with compassion upon those who are now in sorrow and affliction; comfort them, 0 Lord, with thy gracious consolations; make them to know that all things work together for good to them that love thee; and grant them evermore sure trust and confidence in thy fatherly care; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord.

V: Beati qui lugent
Beati qui lugent quoniam ipsi consolabuntur. [Matthew 5:4]
(trans: Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted.)

VI: Collect for All Souls
Father of all, we pray to thee for those we love, but see no longer: Grant them thy peace; let light perpetual shine upon them; and in thy loving wisdom and almighty power, work in them the good purpose of thy perfect will; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

VII: Expecto resurrectionem
Expecto resurrectionem et vitam venturi saeculi. Amen. [Ordinary of the Mass]
(trans: I await the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home