Faux-pretentious, moi?

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Festival days are here again!

Today saw the official opening of the Fringe Festival, which vies with the International Festival for prominence in the Edinburgh calendar. To be honest, it's pretty well a dead heat: the latter gets to finish things off with a spectacular fireworks display in early September, the former gets the calvacade - a procession through the main streets of the city - on the first Sunday in August.

As it happens, today also saw the end of the Jazz and Blues Festival, though a good deal of the artists are staying on to perform during the Fringe. At work, this means we've got a week with no events taking place before the International Festival kicks in next Sunday. The first night is very much a big event, unfortunately frequently viewed as something to go to in order to be seen to be there, but for all that it remains on a large scale musically too - Strauss' Elektra this year, with Jeanne-Michèle Charbonnet in the title role.

I prefer noisy fireworks to watching processions and don't believe in depriving someone of a ticket to something they're likely to appreciate more than me, so have bothered neither with the calvacade nor a ticket for the opening concert. Besides, I've got quite enough other things to attend; five events down, heavens only knows how many to go.

There's also been some good news on the job front: the day after my contract at the Festival box office runs out, I'm starting at the box office of the Festival and King's Theatres, which means I should be able to get reasonable seats for Alan Bennett's The history boys when it's on tour in the autumn ... and I'll be paid a whole extra 48 pence an hour!

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations, Tony! That's good news indeed! I'm happy for you! Once again, thank you for your visit! Quite crazy the blog, isn't it? (lol) Well, I believe the best place for me to be working nowadays would definitely be Brussels... As I do like to work though,... I'm not so sure I'd be that fond of it... (Who cares anyway? I like what I do, and money isn't all in life)
    Enjoy everything at its most! :-)

    By Blogger RIC, at 9/8/06 01:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home