Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, July 24, 2006

Eye trouble

As I took out my left contact lens out last night, I felt a sudden pain suggestive of muck in my eye - a speck of dust, perhaps, at any rate something no amount of blinking could get rid of. It was only by splashing some lens solution into my eye that I was able to soothe the pain sufficiently to get to sleep.

It was agony trying to get my lens in this morning, so I rang the optician's and got myself an appointment for ten o'clock. After examination, he told me it looked as though I'd scratched my eye as I was removing the lens, with part of the pain being caused by a slight swelling on the inside of my eyelid. It was already showing signs of healing, but he gave me some eye drops to help things along.

What with only having clear vision on one side, I've been spending a good deal of the day looking through my right eye only. Extraordinary how it affects depth perception, to say nothing of requiring to turn my head further if I want to look left.

Hopefully my eyesight will be back to normal tomorrow. Then I might get on with writing about London ...

UPDATE (17:59, 27/07/2006) Turns out I shouldn't have put my lens back in on Tuesday: despite the comfort, it covered the abrasion in such a way as prevented it from healing - so much for my plans to see Superman returns on my day off! Although my eye felt fine this morning, I decided not to take any chances and let it rest another day. The lens'll probably be going back in tomorrow ...

3 Comments:

  • O Tony, I'm so released now! I thought you wouldn't be absent for so long.
    Contact lenses? Eye troubles? Several days having to act almost as a blind? And so on, and so forth... Tell ME about it!...
    I'm glad you know what happened and will be fit tomorrow to saciate our - well, my - thirst of news.
    Meanwhile, there's a new blog on the planet... Please, come by for a visit. It's Portuguese indeed, but you WILL be amazed... I guess... :-)
    Take really good care!

    By Blogger RIC, at 25/7/06 03:12  

  • I am so glad I don't have to put things on my eyes.

    Hope you feel better.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlet, at 25/7/06 16:30  

  • I've had similar problems before and I know how you feel. Sometimes it helps to replace the offending contact lense immediately as i've found out but I guess there is nothing much you can do if the damage to your eye has already been done. Sore one.

    This is the first time on your blog, i'll keep an eye out for it more often. Terrible I know but I like to think my one-liners are getting better.

    KJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/8/06 18:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home