Faux-pretentious, moi?

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Wedding music

Not my own - Alison and Jim were round this afternoon to discuss what I'll be playing at their wedding (in three weeks and 6 days, not that they're keeping count!). Ten minutes' worth of music before the ceremony, starting off with the sarabande from Grieg's Holberg suite, followed by a Scarlatti sonata. Depending on time, I'll then play an Aria and variations in E flat by Haydn, as many as are necessary before striking up Wichtige Begebenheit from Schumann's Kinderszenen, which marks the beginning of the ceremony.

At some stage during the ceremony itself, I'll be accompanying another friend of theirs in Bright is the ring of words (from Vaughan Williams' Songs of travel) and As time goes by. Then, come the end, they're keen to get everyone to the party upstairs so we're going with a short, upbeat number: Children's games, from a set of (supposedly) "easy pieces" by Prokofiev.

The moment they left I ran out to find a tall vase. Alison had given me the most gorgeous bouquet of lilies and there was no way I wasn't going to display them to best advantage. They're now adorning the chest below the living room window. Utterly, utterly gorgeous.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home