Faux-pretentious, moi?

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Not so commonplace after all

The annual choir dinner was held tonight, an affair which requires us to dress fairly formally for an evening at one of Edinburgh's private golf clubs. I'd worn my kilt last year and did so again this time round, with the difference that I planned to go clubbing afterwards with some of the younger contigent of the choir.

I got back about half an hour ago and can say that it has never before sparked so much interest as was the case tonight. For the most part, it was women who were fascinated, from the innocent (a foreign girl wanting to have their photo taken with me) to the less so (lifting it up at the back to see if I was wearing anything underneath). Of the two men who approached me, one had been sent by his two female companions while the other came over of his own accord, seeking to know if I was what is generally termed "a true Scotsman" (i.e. not wearing underwear). He then laid his hand on my backside in an attempt to verify my answer.

It was a little disconcerting to have so many women paying attention to me (though the one unattached straight man in our group stopped short of being envious), but next time I don my kilt for an evening's clubbing, I think I shall try a gay bar for comparison ...

2 Comments:

  • Okay, but you didn't answer the question, LOL! Inquiring minds want to know. Thopugh...I can imagine Edinburgh in December could be a might...drafty?

    By Blogger Andy, at 18/12/05 20:03  

  • Shame on you, Andy - you fell for my trap!

    To be honest, you wouldn't want to wear anything underneath. It gets hot enough as it is under all those layers of wool ... Only my knees felt the chill.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 18/12/05 21:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home