Faux-pretentious, moi?

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Music meme

Maybe someone will tell me what "meme" actually means. Presumably it's an abbreviation of something ...

Anyhow, thanks to Brechi for this one. The instructions are as follows:

List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.

I'm deliberately trying to avoid going down the all-too-obvious (for me) classical route, so here goes:

1. Benjamin Biolay's Billy Bob a raison (Billy Bob is right), for no other reason than the next line is les gens, c'est tous des cons (people are fucking idiots). Sort of French countrified pop, if that's not a contradiction in terms.
2. Mozart's Sinfonia concertante in E flat for violin and viola, K. 364. It's one of my favourite pieces and I'm seeing a performance of it next week.
3. the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby - from a musical point of view, it's incredibly simple (there are only two chords to it), but the song speaks very movingly of loneliness.
4. In pursuit of happiness by the Divine Comedy, which runs over the closing credits of my favourite film, Shooting fish.
5. the Toy symphony (which is Leopold Mozart or Haydn, depending on your point of view); a colleague of mine had the CD on at work and I'd forgotten what fun it is.
6. the rather wonderful Das lila Lied (The lavender song) by Spoliansky - a German cabaret song from the early 1930s which is really a prototype gay anthem - as sung by Ute Lemper.
7. Toby Spence singing Britten which, on CD, means the Serenade for tenor, horn and strings. I spoke to him after Curlew river and he was a lovely chap, not to mention rather good-looking.
8. Dinah Washington singing Is you is or is you ain't my baby?, remixed by Rae&Christian. No idea who they are, but it's sheer genius.
9. Bach's cantata no. 26, Ach wie flüchtig, ach wie nichtig (it sounds horrible translated so I won't bother), from which comes a former (baritone) audition aria of mine, Auf irdische Schätze das Herze zu hängen - nice cheerful number all about the transitory nature of earthly treasures.
10. Monty Python's Sit on my face, or at least the French version (Jouis dans ma bouche, i.e. Come in my mouth - oo-er, missus!) has been going round my head pretty well ever since I saw the show, so I can't very well leave it out.

I could go on, but the instructions did say ten ... In the meantime, Andy, Kris (who's away all summer so probably won't read this for a while), Dan, Stephen and Richard, you may consider yourselves tagged.

1 Comments:

  • You need only have asked, Tony.

    Meme definition

    Dawkins coined the phrase many many moons ago. I would never have expected the likes of you to have heard of it, being the cultural ignoramus that you are.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24/8/05 12:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home