Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, June 04, 2007

Emphatically not kicking myself

In the early hours of Sunday morning, as I was walking home from a friend's 30th birthday party, I was accosted by a man who claimed to be a record producer after new vocal talent. Asked to sing something, I asked him what style he was after (trying hard not to laugh) and left him after suggesting my voice mightn't be in top condition at that hour.

Had it not been for the hour and my minor inebriation, I might have been tempted. But what record producer stalks the streets of Edinburgh at a quarter to three in the morning?

Luke reckons my debut album should be Wagner. I retaliated with a proposal of Boulez, Cage and Xenakis - you know, real crowd-pleasers.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Oh, you should have.

    Right now I'm doing temporary work while I look for a new permanent job. Almost invariably, because of my background, I am asked to sing something -- everyone wants a free demonstration by the non-fat non-Italian(-looking) guy. It's annoying, even if I recognize that it's meant to be flattering. They are never quite prepared for the volume...

    (I usually indulge them with the "Se pingere mi piace" snippet from the Rodolfo/Marcello duet because it's pretty and schlocky and short and easy to sing.)

    By Blogger Andy, at 5/6/07 23:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home