Faux-pretentious, moi?

Saturday, January 07, 2006

The next big thing in themed parties

I held a gin and muffins party last night.

Okay, it wasn't just on a whim: when I got back from Switzerland after Christmas, it was with a new bottle of gin (Hendricks) to join the Bombay Sapphire and two bottles of Tanqueray (Export Strength and T10) I already had on the shelves. When a number of my friends were unable to make my New Year's Day party, the opportunity to have a gin party was too good to pass up.

I'd also just got the oven repaired, so after celebrating with a tartiflette* (a traditional dish from the Savoy region of France) on New Year's Day, I thought muffins would be a suitable way of soaking up all that alcohol. I therefore produced a dozen each of date and walnut, carrot and a disappointing cranberry (I realised belatedly I should have added some dried fruit to the sauce).

*I've looked around for a tartiflette recipe on the internet and failed to find one meeting my exacting standards, so here's the one my parents passed me in time for last year's New Year's Day party.

Ingredients for 6 people: 2lbs (1kg) potatoes, 2 large onions, a large knob of butter, 1 reblochon cheese, ½ pt single cream, seasoning.
Peel the potatoes if desired, then cube and boil under tender. Preheat the oven at 200°C/400°F (gas mark 6). Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onions, then add the potatoes and cream. Season and mix well, then place in an oven dish and cover with the sliced reblochon (do not remove the rind). Bake for 30 minutes and serve piping hot.
Depending on personal taste, any one of the following may be added to the mixture before baking: slivers of fried bacon. finely sliced smoked salmon, wholegrain mustard, roast cumin.

If you're not familiar with reblochon, read this if you understand French, or this if you'd rather an introduction in English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home