Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, January 02, 2006

A new word for the New Year

Rutterisation, Rutterization (US), noun. A process of rendering something (esp. a piece of music) trite and sentimental, frequently inducing vomiting and nausea. Named after the British composer and arranger John Rutter, b. 1945.

(There was much discussion at last night's party - I say party, but this was a small-scale affair, only four of us - about the lack of any official definition of Rutterisation, so I suggested I'd do something about it in my blog. È fatto.)

1 Comments:

  • I must say, I'm no great fan of John Rutter's choral pieces. They are a bit overly sentimental for my tastes. However, there's no doubting the popularity of his music - if not amongst musicians, then everyone else. His pieces seem to appear regularly on recordings, and are a firm favorite at weddings and at Christmas. Also the work he has done with his self-formed choir, the Cambridge Singers, is fantastic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/1/06 17:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home