Faux-pretentious, moi?

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Vegetarianism according to St Paul

An extract from today's readings which prompted a few amused looks in my direction at the morning service:

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. (Romans 14:1-3)

Tolerance is a gospel I am always keen to preach, but this condemnation of vegetarians has to join those verses of the Bible cited in defence of homosexuality, for being equally out of date. I'm not having my faith criticised on account of my diet!

4 Comments:

  • Plants are what food eats, you heathen!

    By Blogger Andy, at 12/9/05 18:54  

  • The last time I ate foie gras - at Christmas - I felt very ill afterwards, so thank you, but I'll pass.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 13/9/05 12:39  

  • Quote of the day:

    "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13/9/05 16:09  

  • Nice to know I can depend on your support, gentlemen!

    By Blogger Anthony, at 13/9/05 20:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home