Faux-pretentious, moi?

Monday, September 19, 2005

Stuck up on the roof

The main storage room at work is at the very top of the building, through a door at the back of the cleaners' own storage room and across the roof. Both doors have a tendency to shut of their own accord, so it's best to prop them open with something suitably heavy.

Cue the first door to close just as I was returning across the roof from storage this afternoon. I'd suspected previously that it could only be opened from the other side and today was proved right. I was stranded.

The windows from the staff toilets give onto the roof, so after checking that there was no way down to street level - it might be possible, at a pinch, but I didn't want to risk injury - I did the only thing I could do, namely position myself under one of the open windows and wait for someone to show up. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long (maybe ten, fifteen minutes) so no-one really missed me, though I made a point of telling colleagues myself rather than let rumours fly.

Would you believe it, something very similar happened to me during my time in Switzerland, when I got stuck in the hotel's service lift late one evening. In the kitchen, its doors were blocked at nighttime but if the lift stopped there, the draught going up the shaft would blow them open just far enough to prevent it from moving. Again, I was trapped for no more than a quarter of an hour, but it was still memorably daft of me.

That said, it's just as well I'm neither an agoro- nor a claustrophobe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home