Faux-pretentious, moi?

Friday, July 08, 2005

It's yet to sink in

This week has felt like some sort of limbo for me. On the work front first of all, the various demonstrations disrupting much of the city centre - Princes St has been closed at some stage every day - not to mention what we think was a bomb scare yesterday evening which required a good deal of Princes St to be evacuated (I've found out since two controlled explosions were carried out).

None of this even compares to the horrors of the London bombings. It's yet to sink in, despite getting on the phone to many of my friends there; I'm glad to say they're all safe and well, but thus far none of us have heard from my uncle. My mother was initially concerned that I was in London (until she recalled that it's next week I'll be there), while my cousin and I struggled to remember how he gets to work. We've all left messages on his answer phone but this morning I'm growing concerned. Last night it was fair enough to assume he may not be able to get back home until much later than usual, but I've received no email, no phone call, either from him or the rest of the family.

I pray he's safe and well.

UPDATE (18:51, 08/07/2005) He's fine. He was already at work at the time and heard the bomb on the bus, his office between fairly close by. Seems my aunt and other uncle's phone was ringing off the hook with concerned friends and relatives ...

3 Comments:

  • The anxiety can be really terrible. For nearly four full years now, I have had to suppress the urge to panic sometimes on the subways and buses and in theaters or other crowded places in Manhattan. It would be so very, very easy to do in New York what was done in London yesterday. So easy, in fact, that I regard it as an inevitability, more than just a likelihood. But you just can't give in to fear, because that's letting them win. I'm worried, but I refuse to be intimidated. I sympathize with the legitimate grievances many people around the world have with America's government and corporate policies, but nothing justifies the slaughter of innocents.

    By Blogger Andy, at 8/7/05 15:29  

  • I want you to know that I am thinking and praying for all you in London and Britain.

    David Freshwater USA

    By Blogger PupSquadFoster, at 8/7/05 19:12  

  • Thank you both for your support. While my personal concerns are over now, it doesn't take any from the horrors of the aftermath.

    Continuing to lead your life as previously is not evident and I can only admire the courage of the Londoners. The French seem to think it's down to stiff upper lips, but thankfully human resilience is a universal trait. Long may it remain so.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 8/7/05 19:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home