Faux-pretentious, moi?

Friday, July 08, 2005

Correction

My previous post isn't strictly accurate - inaccurate use of language bugs me generally. It goes a long way beyond the English/British thing.

I've just been in a chatroom in which someone asked, completely out of the blue, in what religion his fellow chatters were raised. "Church of Christ", answered one, at which point I wanted to say that's not a religion, it's a denomination of one (feel free to correct me if Church of Christ is a synonym for Christianity, I could be wrong). I pointed this out to the person who asked the question, who suggested that "most people in the U.S. belong or have been associated with some Christian denomination".

Perhaps, but it doesn't make it any the less wrong.

It's like the spate of programmes there was on Channel 4 until a few months back (at least, I've not seen any recently and hope this post doesn't resurrect the format), all entitled something along the lines of The 100 best something-or-other, anything from bitchy TV moments to ways to skin a cat, for all I know. The problem I have here is that the polls is invariably a tally of favourite 80s singles, say, which is not necessarily a measure of quality.

I have a soft spot for the films Shooting fish and Death to Smoochy, but let's face it, neither is in the league of Some like it hot, which is an absolute classic. The fact it doesn't appeal to me as much doesn't mean the others are any better.

Before you ask, I'm not especially fussed about Eats[,] shoots and leaves, because punctuation is an incredibly subtle medium and its correct usage, while no bad thing in itself, should be secondary to correct and accurate use of language.

Rant over - for now, at any rate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home