Faux-pretentious, moi?

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Work issues

I got a minor ego boost at work today courtesy of the boss. He mentioned to my supervisor that he wouldn't want me to piss off elsewhere (his words), given how difficult it is to get hold of decent staff for the classical side of things. Neither of them could work out how I managed to buy a flat on my salary, but took that purchase as an indication of my intention to stay. As well the boss might.

There could be a fly in the ointment though, as we're to get a new floor manager at the beginning of May and you can never be sure how someone new is going to take to the smaller departments, i.e. any CDs which aren't rock, pop, dance, metal or the like. Luckily we're getting Nicola Benedetti, the violinist who won last year's BBC Young Musician of the Year, coming to sign copies of her first CD on 9th May, an event I suggested, so it should get us off to a good start.

My concerns don't stop there, however: we're due a refit in the summer (not during the Festival, I trust) which I know is going to affect my deparment. Either it gets moved to the basement, in which case the only thing we'd lose is the fantastic view of the castle, or the other CD sections on the floor (country, easy listening, folk, blues and world music) get shoved in with classical and jazz. Heaps of reasons why I don't like this, not least knowing how proprietal my customers can be, in terms of enjoying having their own place, but more than anything else it strikes me it'd be a compromise anyway, as we'd all get moved into the basement in due course anyway. The growth of the DVD market can only mean that they'll take over the entire floor in due course, so why not bite the bullet and get on with it?

If you do want to leave a comment on this post (I've enjoyed all of them so far), please don't feel you have to be vastly knowledgeable about the world of retail ... I'd just as soon hear about how good your local CD shops are, especially if they've a classical section worth mentioning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home